Saturday, October 18, 2008

New Painting
















Good Morning!

Here a little of what I worked on last night. While I was taking fall pictures and old family barn pictures in Pennsylvania last week, I took one other set of pictures. We were heading back to the main road from my great grandfathers farm when I spotted a working dairy farm. I have painted cows in the past. My "Friendly Gathering" gets a lot of attention at shows. However, those are Herefords, or "white faces." My husband's uncle raises them and I've spent some time hanging out with them and photographing them. However, due undoubtedly to the commercials that feature them and their unique markings the "black and white" cows seem to be more popular. These are Holsteins and are what my dad's family used to raise. I would never paint one though because I had never met one face to face. I had no connection to a Holstein. Well, we ran across this Holstein farm last weekend and I stopped to take pictures. It was wonderful because they were very curious as to why I had stopped and they started coming to the fence. I got to talk to them a bit and got some wonderful pictures. The best part about painting cows is that they have great personalities and it shows in their faces. This particular cow really caught my attention and I just had to paint her. When finished I will enter her to be considered for a special show in February. So far, you see a photo of her and the sketch I made on the canvas with the under painting of the sky. Today I should at least finish the under painting. Hopefully, I get the chance to work on her too!
Until next time...

No comments: